Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Redefining Dining

This is a storyboard I sketched out for one of my projects from last semester. The project was for a competition that required us to "redefine dining" for unique areas. I chose to redefine dining on commercial airplanes. For years, dining on airplanes has always tried to mimic the household or restaurant setting. Unfortunately, these methods tend to fall flat in the confines of the fuselage, so I tried to emphasize the dining experience by bring in as much of the outside design elements inside. By doing so, I hoped to create a dining experience that was unique to aircraft-- and a pleasurable one at that. In addition to the aesthetics, I addressed several issues:

  • The time it takes to prepare/serve food
  • The method of collecting waste and containing it
  • The reduction of waste, and re-usability of materials (dishes)
Below is a dense storyboard outlining the life-cycle of the tray/dishes combination...


  • Chef prepares food...
  • Food goes on dish...
  • Dishes go on trays...
  • Trays are loaded onto the meal cart...
  • Food is served...
  • Food is eaten...
  • Waste is contained in stackable/reusable dishes...
  • Trays/dishes are collected and loaded back onto the meal carts...
  • When the plane lands, dishes are "cracked open" to empty trash, and then thrown into the wash...
  • Dishes and trays are cleaned and reused...

No comments: